Frequently Asked Questions

Since 1975, Lakes Region Community Services’ primary focus has been to provide supports and services to residents of the Lakes Region and their families living with developmental disabilities or acquired brain disorders.

Through Home Assist,  LRCS also provides essential critical services to the area’s aging population and those living with chronic illnesses. In 2009, LRCS opened the Family Resource Center of Central New Hampshire, a community based center available to anyone seeking programs, resources, activites or supports designed to strenghthen families throughout the Lakes Region.

What kind of services does LRCS offer to individuals who experience a disability?

FRC ChildLakes Region Community Services is one of 10 designated Area Agencies in New Hampshire that provides community-based services to individuals with developmental disabilities or acquired brain disorders, and their families. NH’s Area Agency system serves in excess of 10,000 individuals and families.

The creation of the Area Agency system emerged as the result of a federal class action lawsuit, which ultimately closed the Laconia State School in 1991, making New Hampshire the first state in the country to do away with institutions segregating people with developmental disabilities.

Available services for eligible adults include:  Resource Coordination, Self Directed Services, Employment Services, Residential Services, Shared Family Living, Supported Independent Living, Respite and Family Support. For eligible families who care for a child under the age 18 with a disability, Early Supports and Services, In Home Supports, and programs through our Autism Center, Respite and Family Support services are available.

How do I find out if I, my child or my family member is eligible for services?

Start off by contacting one of our Intake Coordinators.

Under age 3: Tylaine Guarriello  524-8811, ext. 1578,  or email

Ages 3 & Up: Wendy Corliss, 524-8811, ext. 1558 or email wendy.corliss@lrcs.orgStaff with individuals

There are no financial criteria for eligibility. However, there are many variables that may affect an individual’s eligibility status.

Is there a Waiting List for services?

Generally, the answer is “yes.” Although passage of Senate Bill 38 in 2007 banned waiting lists, it is a typical that funding is not immediately available when an adult is found eligible and there can be a wait until funding can be accessed. Children under 3 found eligible for Early Supports and Services typically do not have to wait to receive services.

What other types of services does LRCS offer in the community?

The Family Resource Center of Central NH

The Family Resource Center of Central NH is an important community resource dedicated to strengthening all families and thereby strengthening the communities in which they live. Supports include the Giggles & Grins Playgroup, parent education and supports, early childhood initiatives such as Born Learning, Watch Me Grow, Step Ahead, a home visiting program, information and referral to community supports.

Home AssistHomeAssist Program

HomeAssist offers hands-on support services to aging seniors and adults age 18 and over living with chronic illness. Choices to help you remain independent in your home include:  personal care, meal planning and preparation, light housekeeping and laundry, medication reminders, assistance with household responsibilities, and general companionship. The Home Assist Program is licensed by the state of NH as a Home Care Service Provider and Certified as an Other Qualified Agency (OQA) providing you or a beloved family member with personal non-medical support to maintain independence at home for as long as possible.

Do I live in LRCS’ service area?

LRCS provides services to individuals who experience a developmental disability or acquired brain disorder and their families residing in the Belknap and Southern Grafton County communities of:  Alexandria, Alton, Ashland, Barnstead, Belmont, Bridgewater, Bristol, Campton, Center Harbor, Ellsworth, Gilford, Gilmanton, Groton, Hebron, Holderness, Laconia, Meredith, New Hampton, Plymouth, Rumney, Sanbornton, Thornton, Tilton and Wentworth.

If you do not live in one of these communities, click here  to find the designated area agency that serves your community.

Residency requirements for Home Assist and participation in Family Resource Center programs vary.

How does LRCS receive  funding?Community Garden

Funding comes from federal and state funds, grants and private donations.

Is LRCS a registered non-profit?

Yes, LRCS is registered as a 501 (c) (3) not for profit organization.

How many people does LRCS employ?

LRCS employs more than 375 people in full- and part-time positions.

Where are LRCS’ offices located?

LRCS’ Main Office, which also houses the Family Resource Center, is located at 719 North Main St., in Downtown Laconia. LRCS also has an office in Plymouth, enabling the agency to more closely support the communities located in the northern part of our service area. Click here for directions to both offices.

Is there a complaint process?

Lakes Region Community Services (LRCS) strives to do its best for those we serve, their families, and others involved in their life. There may be times when individuals or their families are not satisfied with the services they are receiving and/or their interaction with LRCS. We request that you first contact the Program Director, link to staff directory, so that he/or she can try to work out a resolution to the problem. If that is not satisfactory, please contact Julie Choiniere, Quality Improvement Specialist.

In the event that you have concerns that someone served by LRCS is being abused, neglected, or exploited, please contact the following State of New Hampshire resources: 

Adults Age 18+ receiving developmental or acquired brain disorder services from LRCS: Contact the Bureau of Developmental Services at  855-450-3593 to file an abuse, neglect, exploitation, or human rights complaint.

Adults Age 18+ receiving Elder Services: Contact the Bureau of Elderly and Adult Services (800) 949-0470 or (603) 271-7014 for concerns of abuse, neglect or exploitation.

Children age birth to 18: Contact Child Protection Services at (603) 271-6562 or (800) 894-5533 for concerns of abuse, neglect or exploitation

How can I help?

Glad you asked! As a community centered non-profit, our organization relies on private and business donations, grants and contracts in addition to Medicaid funds to facilitate our programs and services. If you would like to learn more about ‘making a difference’ by donating or volunteering your time or services please click here. Thank you!